Thursday, March 08, 2007

Auggie Wren's Christmas Story by Paul Auster

A friend of mine talked about this book and the movie Smoke (which was based on this book) in his blog. I was intrigued because I trust his taste and because I am always looking for Christmas books for my book group. My group has been meeting for almost two years and mostly we are about the books and a little bit about the dessert that someone brings. In December though, we are about the food, and a little about the book. We did A Christmas Memory by Capote a couple of years ago and this past year A Christmas Carol by Dickens. Then we ate something delicious and talked about shopping we had left to do.

Even though this is a very short book, 35 pages, it is catalogued in my library system as an adult book. It is so short, in fact that it is hard to say much about it without ruining the charm of it. Best to say that it is about the pleasures of story and about how people see the world. I hate sounding so cryptic, but I was quite taken by the pleasures of this little book and would hate to spoil it for you.

If you are not in a Holiday reading kind of mood right now, put it on you TBR list and read it next December when the season is upon us again.

No comments: