Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Invisible Prey by John Sandford

This is Sandford's newest addition to his Prey series starring detective Lucas Davenport.

I love this series. I would even go so far as to say that they are my favorite in the serial killer/police procedural books. There is some unevenness in the books in the series but for the most part they do not disappoint.

Invisible Prey, like most of the books in the series is set mainly in Minneapolis with forays in fast cars to small Wisconsin towns. This one focuses on the antique trade and is not nearly as violent as some of the others. Oh, there are dead bodies piling up, but I never really felt that Lucas himself was in any danger. That was unusual because as far as memory serves, usually he is in some danger.

Lucas Davenport is the sexist of the series detectives I read. That sounds kind of funny to me, but the way he is described and the randy times he has with his wife are certainly titillating and I think written with women in mind.

This is another series where I feel part of the family. Davenport has gone from a skirt chaser early in the series to a married man with a family. His wife has a career as a plastic surgeon and is a strong character--kudos to Sandford for writing a real woman character.

This was not my favorite book in the series. There is very little "who done it" because we know almost from the first chapter who the bad guys are, so the fun is in following the detectives and they figure out the how and why of it. I like other books in the series better, I think because there is more peril and more mystery.

As in other books of this genre, this is a fast read and fun. I would recommend that if you are reading the series, get it, if you have never read any of the series, start from the beginning. It is more fun that way I think.

Finally, as a side note, part of the mystery in this book is about antique quilts with curses sewn into the quilting stitches. That was rather interesting and made me want to do some research to see if this was based on any true stories. Quilters might find this book interesting for that reason.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Hi Lisa Jean! I just responded to your comment on my blog...check it out. :)

Regarding the "Prey" series, I have only read one and liked it a lot, but wanted to smack him upside the head. I'm definitely interested in reading more.

Lisa Jean said...

Thanks Joy. I think Lucas matures in this series, so you may not want to smack him so much in later books. Although he can still be a sexist pig at times, so maybe you would.

rape domination bdsm stories said...

Although I enjoyed beingwith women, deep down I still preferred men. It had been so easy to seduce Bessie, the busy body.
sex stories dog stories
children animal sex stories
dirty lesbian sex stories
lesbian pedo stories
bbw lesbian stories
Although I enjoyed beingwith women, deep down I still preferred men. It had been so easy to seduce Bessie, the busy body.