Thursday, June 28, 2007

Not about books

About six years ago I planted a peach tree and two apricot trees in our yard. This is quite the leap if faith since I live in Wisconsin. But hope springs eternal.

The peach tree flowered and got a bunch of fruit on it in the third year but after they grew to the size of nickels, the peaches all fell off. The second year the same thing happened so I took samples to the university extension office and found out I have a virus that isn't curable. In the meantime one of the apricots broke off in the wind. I needed two apricots for pollination.

Fast forward to 2007. The tree that had broken off had grown back from the root stock. We had a hard frost late, but the trees both blossomed. I started watching and one day I saw, way high up in one tree a little round thing. I kept an eye on it. Once I even used my binoculars.

Today when I looked up, the little round thing was gone. I was horrified. Darn blackbirds was my first thought. But, I scootered over and there on the ground was a little gold quarter sized apricot.

I picked it up and it was soft, but looked good, nice and lightly fuzzy. I took it to show my husband. I felt like a proud parent.

I broke it open with my fingers to make sure there were no worms or bugs in it. It was perfect. I put a piece in my mouth and was astounded by the flavor of the best apricot I had ever eaten. Yum!

Maybe next year I'll get two. I guess I won't be taking orders anytime soon, but still. Yeah!!

4 comments:

kookie said...

If you got one apricot, you will have others. Sometimes fruit trees take a couple cycles to really get going. When you have a bumper crop, put me down for a bushel. (Shouldn't be hard to ship from Wisconsin to Nebraska, should it? ;)

Lisa Jean said...

Those ripe little guys will be leaking juice by the time they cross the state line.:-)

Bybee said...

Oh yummy. You have a way of writing that had me tasting that little apricot right along with you.

Lisa Jean said...

Thanks bybee. Lucky for me, to balance out the single apricot, I am going to have so many tomatoes I won't know what to do with them. They will be pretty tasty too.