Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton

In which a thirty-something American librarian with a social conscience goes to Africa to deliver books to the outlying settlements by camel.

Okay, I make it sound as dumb as I thought it was going to be. But I was wrong. This is no great literature, but it is a nice read and all but the main character, Fi, short for Fiona, come pretty much alive. I feel myself waffling as I write this. I think maybe I would have liked more focus on the tribes people and how they lived day to day. And yet, the characters are not one dimensional. There is a boy who was horribly scarred when he was a baby who holds the entire books-by-camel program in his hands and the school teacher who loves his wife, but she is doing the unthinkable, by having a relationship with Scar Boy's father. And there is the wise older grandmother who has seen it all an passes out good advice. There I went and did it again and made it sound sappier than it is.

It is about 300 quick pages and the setting is lovely and I think the idea behind the book is good, too. Essentially that books and education can change lives, even those of the people in the African bush. I would say this book has a good heart. And as a retired librarian I had to read it.

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I've been eyeing this one but not sure it would be something I'd want to read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it, Lisa Jean. I've added it to my wishlist. I might as well give it a try. It does sound interesting from your description!

Lisa Jean said...

I will be interested to read your impressions of the book. You could tell that I was right on the edge of wishy washy, but I was glad I read it. I'm also glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it.

Bybee said...

I'm confused..is it fiction or nonfiction? Either way, I think I'd like it.

Lisa Jean said...

bybee, It is fiction. I should have said that right from the start, because you're right it does sound like nonfiction. And there really is a camel bookmobile program going on in Africa. At the end of the book she has include info on making both book and monetary donations to the program.