Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman

I confess to reading a lot of serial killer novels. I believe I have read all of the Jonathan Kellerman books featuring child psychologist Alex Delaware and his sidekick, LAPD detective Milo Sturgis. I like Delaware's girlfriend, Robin, and the fact that they have a french bulldog who livens up all of the scenes set in Delaware's home. He also raises koi fish. After reading twenty-one of these novels, I feel as if I am part of the family.

In Obsession the crime is a deathbed confession by a respected nurse, that she killed someone close by. Her daughter, to whom she made the confession, goes to Delaware for help. Both mother and daughter have OCD and had consulted with Delaware in the past.

With the help of Sturgis, the digging begins. There are many unsavory characters and a couple of new murders as well as sex, drugs, and rock and roll. I began to get some of the characters mixed up due the the sheer number of bad guys and good guys and one really bad guy who goes by more than one name. But in the end, I guess that didn't matter. I just kept plowing though and all became clear in the end.

I don't think this was the best of Kellerman. Without giving anything away, I was a bit disappointed in the ending. On the other hand, I read these novels kind of compulsively and I just like keeping up with the "family." This worked for me on that level. I think that if you have never read a Kellerman book before, this would not be the place to start. Go to the library and get some of his early stuff for a real introduction. If you are a fan though, this is a good read and worth your time.

5 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I have this one in my TBR stacks. I have read most of Kellerman's books (all in the Alex Delaware series) and enjoy them. Reading a Jonathan Kellerman book is a lot like visiting old friends, or, as you described, family. It's nice to visit the familiar once in awhile. :-)

Lisa Jean said...

Hi LF, I like Kellerman a lot, but my favorite is John Sandford. Do you read him? If not, you should add him to your list. Really fun stuff!

Literary Feline said...

I haven't tried Sanford yet, but I do have some of his books laying around here to read one of these days. I really need to try him out! :-)

Where is Karla Going said...

Great bblog you have here

Where is Karla Going said...

You're the best