Thursday, May 17, 2007

Book quiz

This little book quiz has been going around, I picked it up from Babelbabe.

A book that made you cry: The Fox and the Hound, Where the Red Fern Grows--you know, dog stories.

A book that scared you: The Jungle

A book that made you laugh: The Janet Evanovich Series about Stephanie Plum

A book that disgusted you: American Psycho--Bret Easton Ellis

A book you loved in elementary school: Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books by Betty MacDonald

A book you loved in junior high: My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

A book you loved in high school: I found a copy of The Harrod Experiment and I was amazed, plus, even though my parents never stopped me from reading anything, this was a book I felt the need to hide.

A book you hated in high school: The Scarlet Letter.

A book you loved in college: Lady Chatterley's Lover--I felt so grown up reading this book

A book that challenged your identity: Illusions by Richard Bach. It changed the way I view the world.

A series that you love: The A B C books by Sue Grafton

Comfort books: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I just love this book.

Your favorite horror book: Misery by Stephen King

Your favorite science fiction book: Strange in a Strange Land--Heinlein. I think I like it so well because it was one of the first SF books I ever read.

Your favorite fantasy book: The Hobbit and more recently, the Philip Pullman series, His Dark Materials

Your favorite mystery book: Marcia Muller Series

Your favorite graphic novel: Never read one. Maybe I should

Your favorite biography: Tender at the Bone--Reichl--I like food bios and and read a lot of them, this one sticks out in my mind.

Your favorite “coming-of-age” book: I think The Life of Pi fits here, and I love that book

Your favorite classic: Lady Chatterley's Lover

Your favorite romance book: The Wolf and the Dove--Woodiwiss--I never read many romances, but I did read all the Woodiwiss books years ago and I loved them then.

Favorite kids’ book: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day--I have had days like that.

Favorite cookbook: Joy of Cooking--I love cookbooks, I own dozens, but if I want to be absolutely sure something is going to turn out, it's Joy.

Your favorite book not on this list: The Shipping News--Annie Proulx, Bastard Out of Carolina, The Book Thief

7 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I love this particular meme. The Fox and the Hound was one of my favorite childhood stories. And Stephanie Plum is always good for a laugh, isn't she? I am a big fan of Sue Grafton's series also. Stanger in a Strange Land was a great book--my first real foray into science fiction too.

Ana S. said...

His Dark Materials is my favourite fantasy book as well :)

Bybee said...

I love the idea of Huck Finn as a comfort read.

Lisa Jean said...

nymeth--I really loved His Dark Materials--flew through the series in short order. I think there is a movie coming out based on the books--we'll have to see if it sucks or not.

bybee--Huck Finn just makes me laugh and think too. I suspect it comforts me because I read it when I was pretty young and rereading it is like a return to my youth.

kookie said...

'American Psycho' was a disgusting book, no doubt. Nice list.

Lisa Jean said...

Kookiejar, I couldn't even finish the book. It just grossed me out.

BabelBabe said...

if you decide to try a graphic novel, I can recommend Neil Gaiman. also, Persepolis. Two very different stories, but both very well done.