Monday, January 22, 2007

A boy and his truck

I have a crush on author Michael Perry. He writes like a dream and if he always tells the truth in his essays, he is a real woman's man. Got to love that. And most important of all, Perry makes me laugh.

His first book, Population: 485, was a wonderful, if incredibly sad, read about working as a volunteer EMT in New Auburn, Wisconsin. I think I knew something bad was going to happen right from the get go, but Perry's humor and story telling acumen just pulled me along to the inevitable.

Truck: A Love Story is all about celebration. With the help of his brother-in-law, he decides to fix up his old International Harvester truck and he falls in love with a woman he meets at a library book signing event. He alternates between essays on the truck and the company that built the truck and on his new love and her little daughter and on his garden and his squirrel problem. If it sounds like he is all over the place, he is, but don't be fooled, it all comes back to living a life that makes you happy with as few hiccups as possible.

I was just a little jealous of the woman Perry fell in love with. How stupid is tha,t since I am happily married to a wonderful man, but somehow I wanted him to be out there alone, just in case. But really, I can only wish a man who makes me laugh like Perry does, loads of love and happiness and a garden free of squirrels.

No comments: