Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

I had this book at home, looked at it and decided to send it back to the library without reading it. Too much stuff on my plate. Then I read in a blog somewhere that the reader considered this to be one of the best books she read in 2006, so I decided to give it another try.

Is it one of the best books that I have read in the last year? Not even close. Is it an amusing romp with a gothic feel filled with sex, drugs, and dysfunctional families? You better believe it.

The lead character is Camille, a reporter from Chicago, who is sent to her tiny Missouri hometown to cover the strange murders of two preteen girls. Camille is a cutter who is recovering from her compulsion to carve words into her flesh with sharp objects. Put her back into the family manse with her hypochondriac mother and her teenage half sister who plays with dolls at home and drugs and sex about town and things are sure to boil.

I knew what was going to happen before I got to the end and many of the characters are stock, but I still liked the way Flynn built atmosphere in this novel. And it reads really fast, so you won’t feel as if you have wasted too much of your life if you hate it.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

yeah, it was a fun read - we must have seen it on the same blog. it wasn't great literature, but it was worth the time.