Monday, January 22, 2007

Reading goal for 2007 and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

I read 59 books in 2005 and 72 books in 2006. I decided I need a goal for 2007 that doesn't involve numbers. Hence the 2007 READ WHAT'S ON YOUR SHELF CHALLENGE. I am a huge library user (having been a librarian in the past ) and when I get a book from the library it always moves to the front of the to-be-read pile, ahead of books that I own that are right here in the house and have been for a long time. It all has to do with those pesky due dates. So the idea for 2007 is that every third book I read this year must be one off my own shelves.

I finished my first Read what's on your shelf book today and I am so glad I did. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See is a lovely book about friendship and love and betrayal and the lives of women in the footbinding times in China. I was fascinated by the secret writen langauge of women, that is today, all but dead, except there is a group of women in modern China trying to save it.

The entire footbinding chapter made my stomach clench in pain and sympathy. I had to keep reminding myself: different time, different culture. My mind kept coming back to the practice of clitorectomy, still practiced in some places today, and even some less violent, but no less confining things that are expected/forced on women today. The burqa is just one example.

But, I digress. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was an engaging and fullfilling read. Thanks to my Aunt Becki for the recommendation and then for passing on her copy of the book.

4 comments:

katreenka said...

i loved this book too

Lisa Jean said...

It was so sad and so good at the same time.

BabelBabe said...

ok, i will bring it home. i started it, and could NOT get thru the footbinding chapter. and I am normally NOT squeamish.

Lisa Jean said...

babelbabe, give it another try even if you have to skip the footbinding chapter. It was such a worthwhile read. I think emersion in another time and culture is one of the wonderful things about this book.