Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Brainiac

I am a huge Jeopardy! fan. I don't watch TV during the day until 4:30 when Jeopardy! comes on in our area. It kind of punctuates my day. I was glued to the TV when Ken Jennings had his run on the show: 2 years, 75 games, 2,642 correct answers, over $2.5 million dollars. YeeHa!

I am a trivia geek of sorts myself and I have always fantasized of a little run on Jeopardy! but, I can face facts--I am out of my league when it comes to the likes of Jennings and probably most of the contestants on the show. Dining room Trivial Pursuit is more my speed. As a retired librarian who used to like to sit reference, there is a lot of junk just sitting in my brain waiting to be called out for a piece of the pie.

Anyway, when I stumbled across a reference to Ken Jennings book, Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs, I had to get a copy, if for no other reason than to see if he was the world's biggest geek, as I suspected.

Well, surprise. This is a charming book by a guy who has a sense of humor and isn't afraid to look a little silly at times. It has enough trivia throughout each chapter with answers at the end to make the reader feel smart even if they only get a few and the inside info on the game show is very cool if you are a fan.

Very worth a trip to the library to pick up a copy.

No comments: